- Personal baggage/luggage (from now on called "baggage") is not checked. The owner carries the FULL risk of his/her contents of his/her baggage. ILLINI EXPRESS will safely transport passengers and their respective baggage on their scheduled trips. ILLINI EXPRESS will not open baggage to perform inventory, assign value, judge for condition, check for operatability, determine quantity, or any other attribute of contents of his/her baggage.
- There are two kinds of baggage. Carry-On and Non-Carry-On (N.C.O.). Carry-On baggage never leaves your presence.
- Carry-On baggage is the kind of baggage that will easily fit in a commercial airplane overhead storage bin -or- would fit under the seat of an airliner. Things of great value (important papers and documents, cameras, notebook computers, financial documents, jewelry, etc) should ALWAYS be part of your Carry-On baggage because you can guard your Carry-On baggage and control access of its contents.
- You ALWAYS keep Carry-On baggage with yourself (on their person, above their seat in the overhead compartment, or below their seat) while riding with Illini Express. Examples would be your purse, backpack, briefcase, computer laptop bag, or small totebag. These carry-on items must have a footprint of 9" x 18" x 20" (or 22 cm X 45 cm X 50 cm) or smaller. If the footprint of the item is larger than previously stated, it will not fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat, and is unsafe riding in your lap. Items can NOT be placed in the aisle. This violates federal regulations.
- The footprint of baggage is defined as the area of the baggage contacting the ground with the handle facing UP ready to be grabbed by your hand.
- Carry-On baggage requires no identification tags or markers of any kind because you will keep them with yourself all the time while ILLINI EXPRESS is serving you.
- Passengers are allowed up to TWO pieces of Carry-On baggage.
- Non-Carry-On baggage is ANY ITEM with a footprint LARGER than 9" x 18" (22 cm X 45 cm). ALL N.C.O. ITEMS MUST travel in the bus luggage compartment, which is the storage area of the bus, shuttle, or van.
- Non-Carry-On baggage is normally too bulky for the scheduled seat space. Non-Carry-On baggage exceeds a Carry-On in weight and size. Non-Carry-On baggage is unable to be contained to your lap for the scheduled trip with ILLINI EXPRESS.
- Non-Carry-On baggage is stored separate from you, temporarily, and should follow these guidelines: There should be no items of GREAT VALUE contained inside your Non-Carry-On baggage which cannot sustain loading/unloading handling damage, (i.e., other larger, heavier baggage stored on top of your baggage during the scheduled trip) or lost baggage as a result of lack of identification or markings in accordance with these baggage guidelines.
- Non-Carry-On baggage should have pertinent identification information (luggage tag or maybe a laminated business card) that easily identifies it as your baggage. ILLINI EXPRESS requires this identification tag located on the handle of your baggage.
- Non-Carry-On baggage ... (for efficiency of baggage retrieval) ... should also have additional identifying marks upon them. For example ... brightly colored scarves, neckties, nylon straps, bandannas, bungee chords, multi-colored duct or electricians tape, etc, etc, etc. ... anything that will allow you (or someone in your party) to easily spot and pick your baggage out of a large group of baggage that may all look alike. Anything you can do to make your baggage unique in appearance so that your black, navy blue, green, red, or other similarly colored (or designed) baggage will look different than the others.. is ENCOURAGED GREATLY.
- If Non-Carry-On baggage does not have identifying luggage tags and/or marks, YOU risk the likleyhood of someone else mistaking your baggage for theirs while they are picking up their baggage. Any baggage of yours mistaken for other passengers baggage neither makes your scheduled ride with us quick, efficient, or pleasant because the end of the time with us is marred by events that is easily avoided with a little planning.
- ILLINI EXPRESS shares limited responsibility for properly identified and marked baggage in accordance with these baggage guidelines.
- ILLINI EXPRESS shall not be responsible for unclaimed luggage exceeding 45 days.